Sorry Guys, I'm back!

Race Report 07/09/2016: BTR Criterium 
The week after Nationals is a magical thing, the legs feel simultaneously tired and relieved from the heavy load of high stress training. Its like waking up from a good night’s sleep, still groggy, but filled with energy for the day ahead. 
Racing this weekend was phenomenal. 
The BTR criterium was a cut and dry fast fest. With the race’s signature cross winds in full effect, I was prepared to see the win go to a breakaway. I was also planning to be in that breakaway, and as a result spent the first 45 minutes of the race on or off the front trying to secure a spot in what I though would be the winning move; no such luck. 
With six Laps to go the pack was still together, and I could see it was coming down to a sprint finish. After this realization I began riding in the shadows, trying to save energy for the inevitable mass finish. Bouncing from wheel to wheel, I stayed in a top ten position for the final lap, eventually making my way into second place by the final corner; perfect positioning. 
Standing to sprint, my dreams of the podium were quickly diminished as my power dwindled back into eighth place. A solid finish, but not what I was hoping for. My earlier attempts of being in the break had tapped my energy, and I was relinquished to top ten. 
Overall it was a good race, and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing my family scream my name every lap. Their endless support for me is something I am still amazed by. 


Race Report 07/10/2016: Race for Wishes Road Race State Championships 
I hate waking up after my alarm. When that happens it puts me in an instantly foul mood, especially on race mornings. So of course, that happened today. Running around the house (waking up my whole family) I quickly gathered my supplies, put on some sunscreen, and raced out the door. 
Arrived
With ten minutes before race start, my teammate, Chris, went over our race strategy in no uncertain terms “I work, you sit, I work, you sit I work, YOU sit!”.
One short burst of blurry memories later, it was already lap two. 
Sitting near the front of the pack, with a small breakaway up the road, I heard Chris talking to me, but couldn’t understand him at first. I looked over at him to try and read his lips over the wind, this time I got it. “One short kick, GO!” perfect timing. Another rider was just beginning his attack to bridge up to the breakaway, and I got his wheel; an easy free ride. Minutes later we were in the breakaway. 
As a group of seven riders we were able to produce an aggressive pace and eventually put a sizable gap on the field. Laps 2-4 were smooth sailing, everyone taking their turn on the front of the pace line. Lap 5? That was not as easy. 
Half way through our final lap people began to play games, much too early. We may have established a solid gap, but we needed to keep the pace high if we wanted it to stay that way. Thankfully, this reality seemed to dawn on the group as the pace line naturally returned to its normal rhythm. At least, it was normal until seven miles to go. 
The attacks started, the legs hurt, and I was determined not to crack. We were screaming towards the finish, but you could feel the tension as the breakaway, now of five riders, closed in on 2 miles to go. Positioning. 
I wanted to try a 1k flyer, but with strong riders still on my wheel, I felt an attack would simply waste me for the sprint. So I followed the plan, they work, I sit. 
Rounding the final corner with only four of the original breakaway riders I found a wheel, and followed. Out of the saddle I gave everything I had to stay on. My legs gave out, I sat down, breathed deep, and pushed on. 
My friend Andy lit up the final hundred meters, and pulled away for a brilliant sprint victory. I stayed in a draft for as long as a could, then put in one last desperate effort to take second place on the line. Relief. Over. Keep Breathing. 
A breakthrough in the breakaway, I broke through a mental block today. I know how strong I can be now, I know I can keep up, and that I don’t have to race afraid. Looking back, I remember doing this race for the first time as a junior four years ago. I got absolute last place, I was so dejected and discouraged. Today I took second in a Cat 1 race, how crazy is that?!? We have come so far, and I look forward to the road ahead. Thanks to everyone for making this dream possible for me, ya’ll make me smile and pedal as hard as I can. 
-JK

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barry Roubaix - A Lesson In Nutrition

Nervous and Ready?